Africa Live Festival @The Elephant & The Nun Market
Burgess Park Saturday 15 August 2015
Bring your wallet and shop in Africa Live Festival Market with traders such as @FunkyNChunky in attendance alongside SME’s specialising in handmade & bespoke goods, comics, jewellery, African wax prints, African & Caribbean literature, handmade clothing, natural beauty products, health remedies, African artefacts and holistic therapies.
Take part in an activity:
- African Art Workshop
- Children aged 7 to 10 will get the chance to learn how to create colourful art using a variety of techniques taught to them by artists from identiconarts.com
Workshop times 1pm, 3pm and 5pm
- Get your face painted
- Choose a Carnival themed design and join in one the parades with The London School of Samba at 2pm @The_LSS & Kinetika Bloco at 2:30pm @KinetikaBloco
Throughout the day at The Elephant & The Nun you can;
- Listen to African & Caribbean Story telling from Southwark libraries
- Enjoy performances on The Movement Factory stage @Movementfactory
- including a performance from Theo ‘Godson’ Oloyade, Sky One’s Got to dance finalist
- Watch Bird, by Forward Theatre Company, a family-friendly performance that combines movement,
- puppetry and live music to tell a story about a young boy who makes friends with a bird.
- Performances at 12.30 and 2.30pm
Join the Honey trail tours of Chumleigh Gardens at 12.30, 1.30, 3.30 and 4.30pm. & take the opportunity to make a bee costume, pollinate flowers with Chumleigh Garden’s Head Gardener and visit the hive with expert beekeepers BeeUrban
Listen to global and local music on the Global Local Stage @RemixedFestival with performances from
- Nirk Molina and the UK Vallenato Kings, playing traditional Colombian cumbia and vallenato;
- Afro-beat jazz fusion, United Vibrations and many more.
Meet a Shetland pony, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits and more at the Surrey Docks Farm @surreydocksfarm
Children can join the bouncing cats & boom boom pups as they navigate through Animaland with spoken-word artist Maxwell Golden and graffiti artist Mr Dane as they take them through an original children’s story interwoven with freestyle hip hop set purpose-built graffiti installation.
But most of all enjoy the day!