Inspirational YOU in partnership with Tooks Chambers are honoured to hold their second Diversity Master Class event at the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom on Wednesday 28th November, 6pm-9pm.
The Panel will focus especially upon the issues affecting the career paths of women in law such as entering the professions; maintaining a legal career and alternatives to private practice.
The event is open to all, under and post graduates, newly qualified and established practitioners from all areas of practice. The event promises to provide a fantastic opportunity to meet established and respected legal professionals, network and gain tips which may well give you the competitive edge in the legal market place.
The event also includes a tour of the Supreme Court and an opportunity to network with other professionals.
The event will be chaired by Garry Green (Barrister, Tooks Chambers)
Courtenay Griffiths QC (Garden Court Chambers)
Courtenay Griffiths' is a Jamaica born QC who grew up in Coventry. The criminal law was an integral part of his experience and the process of his acculturisation into British society.
Courtenay came to the Bar directly from university. He soon realised that a law degree was not the most appropriate qualification for a criminal barrister. He was always interested in politics and had long understood that black-letter law was not, in itself, a sufficient grounding for a proper application of the criminal law. Time spent as Legal Assistant to the Greater London Council's Police Support Committee, and as a Revson Fellow at the City College in New York, completed his education. He returned to full time practice now able to articulate what hitherto had only been understood viscerally.
Sallie Bennett-Jenkins QC (2 Hare Court)
Sallie Bennett-Jenkins QC has been cited on a number of occasions as a leading silk by The Legal 500 and Chambers UK and, prior to taking silk, as a leading junior. She was appointed Queen's Counsel in October 2006 following a period of 8 years as Treasury Counsel, and has since become first choice defence counsel for firms with private clients who demand an incisive advocate with a mastery of detail, and who can instil real confidence in the client. She has been described as having a "thoroughly devastating style of cross examination which is a pleasure to watch”.
Judy Khan QC (Garden Court Chambers)
Judy Khan QC was called to the Bar in 1989, was appointed a Crown Court Recorder in 2006 and became a QC in 2010. She has experience of criminal defence work across a wide spectrum of criminal cases and has been instructed as leading counsel in cases involving allegations of murder, attempted murder, kidnap, fraud, money laundering and large scale importation/supply of drugs. Judy also has extensive experience of cases involving sexual allegations. She finds representing young and vulnerable defendants particularly rewarding.
More speakers to be confirmed.
- Hear from leading practitioners about their efforts to encourage diversity into the profession.
- The future of diversity in law and the opportunities available to get ahead.
- The recent changes within the UK legal profession.
- How do we get more women at board level?
- Get practical tips on how to become a partner and rise through the ranks quickly.
- Hear how the panel members have sustained their careers.
- Learn how to get noticed and get support.
Schedule for Invest in YOU Master Class Event
- 5.30 – 6.15 Registration, networking and tour of the Supreme Court
- 6.15 – 6.30 Seated for discussion
- 6.30 - 8.00 Welcome, intro and panel discussion
- 8.00 – 8.45 Networking
- 8.45 – 9.00 Close
Twitter testimonials from previous Inspirational YOU delegates:
- LGyamfi: it was really nice being re-inspired @Inspirational_U you always deliver."
- KenemaGirl Kenema : #FF @Inspirational_U a seriously positive movement. The panel last night was brilliant.
- cassyofLondon “some amazing advice here @Inspirational_U event about applying yourself, staying professional and believing in yourself.